Question by socomfanatic1: What kind of business license do I need?
I want to start my own online business. I will be doing computer-aided drafting for engineering and architectural companies (hopefully). My first goal is to start a website to kind of market myself and get my name out there. Then I would like to get a business license so I can be pretty much legit. I heard that I may need state AND federal licenses, depending on what I’m doing. Does anyone know what kind of license I would need for this type of business? All of my work would ultimately be done at home, coordinating with clients via email and/or phone. Keep in mind that I am not doing any actual “designing” (for which I would need a arch/engineering license), just drafting. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Best answer:

Answer by ohhhdear
Possibly— you could say this is a type of “consulting” business.

You might need a federal tax i.d—for tax purposes, but usually you need this if you hire anyone. All you do for this is basically fill out some paper work.

Check with your state to see if you need a license for drafting or consulting.

Also, you may need to get some local licenses, such as with your city & county.

There are some states which require the filing of the “fictitious name act”— the name of your business, unless you will be using your own legal name.

You also need to think about whether your business will be a sole proprietorship, a corporation, a partnership, or a LLC.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

One thought on “Q&A: What kind of business license do I need?”

  1. Firstly,you need a professional designer who may your partner.
    If your first goal is start a website,then you can take a IT business license.This is so easy process for starting your dream.thanks

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.